preventive vet the preventive vet

pet safety tip book

preventive vet
 
About The Preventive Vet
About Dr. Nicholas
The Preventive Vet in the News
Read the Blog
Books and Downloadable Guides
ASPCA Toxic Plant List
Weekly Pet Health & Safety Email Sign-Up
Resources
E.R. Info
Share Your Story
I Hate Heat Stroke
Pet Owner Feedback Surveys
Forums
Facebook Page
Twitter Feed
Google+ Page
Pinterest Page
YouTube Channel
Contact The Preventive Vet
Pet Safety Books
Pet Proofing Guide
Free Pet Emergency and Disaster Preparedness Guide
social media

Help... My Dog Ate Gorilla Glue! What Happens When Gorilla Glue Gets Wet - (VIDEO)

Share this post with your friends and family

Jason Nicholas - Sunday, November 04, 2012

gorilla glue; dog; my dog ate; poisons; adhesiveDogs and Gorilla Glue® – Never a good mix!

Maybe you’ve already heard of the dangers that Gorilla Glue® poses to dogs? Maybe you’ve even heard stories or seen some of the cool X-ray images of dogs that ingested this stuff? But have you ever seen video of why Gorilla Glue® is hazardous to your pets. My guess is that you likely haven’t, because such a video hasn’t existed… until now!

This is cool! Check out the time-lapse video below to see what happens “When Gorilla Glue® Gets Wet”, then be sure to share it with your pet-loving friends and family. Gorilla Glue® ingestion is a serious and common dog emergency, and once you’ve seen this video, there’ll be no forgetting about or mistaking the danger! *Don’t worry, the video isn’t graphic – but it is cool and eye opening, and important for every dog owner to see.



It’s pretty impressive (and scary) how such a small amount of glue – about 1 ounce in this video – can expand to a size that will cause an obstruction of your dog’s stomach necessitating surgery to remove. Don’t you agree? Especially when you realize just how quickly it can happen – it only took about 45 minutes to an hour in this video!

Now you might be asking yourself: “Why in the world would a dog eat glue?” Well, in the case of Gorilla Glue®, apparently it smells and tastes sweet (I've never tried it myself though). But honestly, even if it didn’t, are you aware of all the things that dogs ingest on a regular basis? From socks and towels, to pacifiers and even knives, many dogs could care less about what they’re eating, they're just happy that they’re eating!

Does your dog fit that description? I suspect that many of the Lab owners out there know exactly what I’m talking about – right? And I know that the owners of the dog pictured in the radiographs below now appreciate this!

gorilla glue; x-ray; dog   gorilla glue; dog; x-ray

The two radiographs above are of a dog with an obstructive Gorilla Glue® mass in his stomach. (Images courtesy of Dr. Garret Pachtinger, VMD, DACVECC)

So, it’s important to recognize that dogs do ingest Gorilla Glue®, and that they do so fairly often. If you want to help your dog avoid surgery and having a stomach that looks like the one pictured in the X-rays above, be sure to follow the simple suggestions that I’m providing below. And don't forget to help your friends and family keep their pets safe, too - be sure to share this video with them and tell them about ThePreventiveVet.com.

Important things to be aware of and do to prevent your dog’s ingestion of Gorilla Glue®:

  • Recognize the danger (recall video above).
  • Keep such glues in sturdy toolboxes or secure drawers/cabinets. Store the toolbox on a stable, elevated shelf and choose drawers/cabinets that are high up and well out of your dog’s reach (be sure to take into account their height when they’re standing on their hind legs - otherwise known as "counter surfing").
  • Clean up spills promptly and completely.
  • Don’t allow your pets to be around you and your materials when working with Gorilla Glue®.
  • Put away all of your work materials when you’re finished working with them and clean up during breaks. (Or take steps to keep your pets away from your workspace until you are able to thoroughly clean up.)
  • If the above steps prove difficult to follow, then just avoid the potential for the problem entirely and don’t bring Gorilla Glue® or other such adhesives into your home or other workspace.
  • Recognize that it's not just Gorilla Glue® that causes this problem; it's all the other diisocyanate adhesives out there, too. It's just that Gorilla Glue® is the most popular and most heavily advertised of the bunch.
  • Recognize that this emergency can affect cats, too. It's just that it tends to affect dogs far more often, and that's why this article focuses on the problem in dogs. Fortunately though, the preventive steps provided above will also help to keep your cats (and children) safe, as well.

I hope you've enjoyed this video and found it, and the tips provided, useful and educational. Have a wonderful day, and, as always... Be Aware. Be Prepared. Be Preventive!


the preventive vet; pets; safety; cats; dogs


Are you a pet owner who’s dog has previously eaten Gorilla Glue®? Are you a veterinarian who’s ever dealt with a Gorilla Glue® ingestion case? Please share your story in the comments section below or on our forums.


Share this post with your friends and family


blog comments powered by Disqus





Information and advice on pet safety and emergency prevention from an experienced emergency room veterinarian. I may not always tell you what you want to hear, but I will always tell you what you need to know. Browse the website for more information and advice, and don't forget to follow along on Facebook and Twitter too.

RSS  SUBSCRIBE TO BLOG



Recent Posts



Tags

cerenia easter are lilies dangerous for cats gift guide gastropexy lights, critter cord resources heat stroke what plants are dangerous for cats video grapes care credit Trupanion money batteries chocolate dogs cars insulin protein Pet First Aid pet insurance holidays ornaments presents cat Embrace poisoning getting a puppy Pet Poison Prevention prepared GDV lilies kill cats fireworks Mistletoe Tree dog behavior Fleas vomiting restraints pacifiers carsickness bitter apple metaldehyde high-rise training Pet Emergencies cat can't pee help my dog chewed car Fruitcake essential oils links carriers houseguests Stollen toxin 4th of July condition overview costumes ASPCA poisonous plant list Pet Travel window ID tags raisins kids fire fat fall hurricane i hate heat stroke rubrum seat belts dog ate kitten children cyclamen algae intestinal blockage toxins poisons sunburn baking high rise Holly xylitol pyrethrin anxious Pet Proofing tiger disaster planning kidney failure thanksgiving linear foreign body anxiety obesity drowning electrocution String national lampoon detergent baby urinate torsion stargazer infographic Christmas cats Poinsettia antifreeze bloat summer pancreatitis household hazards Pet Blogger Challenge weather aware gorilla glue costs travel shock straining cancer seizures slug lilies urethral obstruction brachycephalic halloween kittens Pet Safety swimming potpourri diabetes gastric dilatation volvulus urinary obstruction Tinsel vet costs insurance String Sticking out of Cat's Butt crates Panettone puppy pee motion sick poisonous plants tornado product review holiday decorations guest post sedation microchips hepatic lipidosis


Archive



    Blog Author

    Jason Nicholas





    pet proofing guide

    Blog Facebook Google+ Pinterest Twitter YouTube